99designs

So recently I lost some classes so I have been looking for a way to get back into freelance so I have tried http://99designs.com recently. And I am not too sure if it's right for me.

The way it works, is the client creates a contest. You have about 3 days to create a mockup for the contest. And then the client chooses the finalists and then you have another 3 days to work on the project.

I submitted several contests. The first one I did needed to be done in a day, and I really didn't have time to make it professional enough.

And then I worked on another one, And he wanted several characters and in a 70's style poster and I worked on that for three days and then he canceled the contest. He wanted so many different characters and so much stuff in the scene. And no real feedback on any changes.


Another one I posted he loved the concept and I raved about it. But in the end it wasn't what he was looking for. And that's fine, but again another three days were gone. And no real feedback on the design.


And now I am a finalist in one contest. But in the end I don't think that I will get it. Just me being a pessimist.

I worked on this one for a couple of hours, I wanted to submit a mock up and asked questions that were never answered.
 So I think I am going to pass on the freelance contests because I put in a dozen different hours of work and don't feel good about any of it. None of the contest holders really answered questions about the contests. And it feels after two weeks of contests that it's just not for me. So I need to get back to actually doing work on my own stuff. I might start traditional painting for the local galleries.