Trying a new Workflow.

I realized as I did the contest for Artstation that my workflow left something to be designers. I would block in, sketch, refine, add a new layer and create a new object and it just felt like I was spinning my wheels. So I watched some videos on how different people did different workflows and I thought about playing with them a bit more.  So last night I created this in about an hour.


The steps goes as follows:

Rough Line Drawing: I created a rough line drawing, Used a solid circle shape with dynamics and no opacity or flow. I tried to paint the basic shape but for me working with lines is more comfortable.

Rough Silhouette with Lines: Selected the outer bounds of the lines, inverse and filled with black. Drew lines over to block in the shapes.

Silhouette Grayscale: Locked the layer, cleaned up the shape, and changed the values to represent the parts of the suit

Gradient Layer: Added a gradient layer over the the gray scale silhouette as a clipping mask. Mine looked like this to keep the colors where I needed them.


Multiply, Overlay and Texture: Next I created 3 clipping layers, a multiply for shadows. A overlay for highlights and another overlay for textures. 
Paint Over: Finally I added a new clipping layer for some basic painting 

For an hour, not too shabby.